Aug 17, 2011

Virginia Freshman Morgan Brian named one of Ten freshmen of influence


property of ESPN.com
University of Virginia Freshman player Morgan Brian has been named to the Soccer America 'Ten freshmen of influence'.

Currently UVA is ranked No. 10 in the NSCAA National Preseason Rankings.

Brian is joined on the UVA roster by Preseason Herman Trophy Candidate senior goalkeeper Chantel Jones.

The University of Virginia women kick of the 2011 season on Friday August, 19 in Charlotteseville, VA. against West Virginia.



OurGameMagazine.com conducted the following interview with Morgan Brian:

By: Kaeley McEvoy

Age: 18
High School: Frederica Academy
College: University of Virginia
Position: Attacking midfielder
Hometown: St. Simons Island, Ga.
Club: Ponte Vedra Soccer Club (Fla.)
Picture

1. Why did you choose to attend UVA? How has preseason been so far?

UVA has everything I could ever want.  A beautiful campus, excellent academics, and an outstanding soccer program.  Preseason has been a great experience for our team, and has helped our team develop on and off the field.

2. Your resume of credentials is far too long to list. In your mind, which of these awards has been the most important for you to receive.
Any of the player of the year awards are the most important, but for me the Gatorade Athlete of the Year has been the most important one that I have received.  It is not only based on athletic ability, but it is also based on character and academic achievements.

3. You were awarded the Gatorade Athlete of the Year at the ESPYs. What were the ESPYs like? (Side note- how did you decide what to wear!)
The ESPYs was an amazing event to attend.  I enjoyed being surrounded by so many famous athletes that I have admired throughout my childhood years.   I shopped at numerous stores until I found the right dress the day before we left!

4. Cat Whitehill came to your school to present you with the Gatorade National Girls Soccer Player of the Year award. What was it like to have such an influential women’s soccer player at your high school? If you could have any athlete present you with an award who would it be and why?

I always watched Cat Whitehill play with the Women’s National Team, and I have admired her ever since.  When she came to my school, it was great to meet her and get to know her as a person.  I would have been honored by any athlete who presented me with the award.

5. You had a 3.8  GPA in high school. What an amazing feat with all of your soccer commitments. What was your favorite subject in high school and why? Do you have any idea of potential majors in at UVA?

My favorite subject in high school was Calculus because I love math, I loved my teacher, and I understand the subject well.  I am going to try to take a variety of classes offered here at UVA to explore my interests.  I love science and math.

6. Community service seems to be an important aspect of your life outside soccer. What has been your most memorable community service experience throughout high school?

My most memorable community service experience was last summer when my friends and I from the U-17 Women’s National Team traveled to Orlando to raise money for the Many Hearts, One Goal Foundation.  We spent a week in Orlando spending time with the Haitian girls whose homes had been destroyed by the earthquake in January 2010.

7. Who is your favorite player on the National Team right now and why?

Lauren Cheney and Megan Rapinoe are my favorite players on the National Team right now because they are technical players who have great vision and have a true soccer brain.

8. What is your advice for any younger girls playing the game? What are your favorite drills to do when you’re training alone?

My advice for any younger girls playing the game would be to believe in yourself and hard work does not take talent.  Growing up I have always been told to never let anyone tell you you can’t do something.  My favorite drills are technical ladders and dribbling through cones.

Kaeley currently plays soccer at Gettysburg College.  She played club for FSA SoccerPlus and CFC in Connecticut. She is a religious studies and english double major. Aspires to pursue journalism or public relations writing for ideally a non-profit organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.