Jan 12, 2012

VASoccerNews Q&A: Christian Metzler, Inspirium Soccer Award Winner

Recently Pat McStay of Virginia Online Soccer News was able to catch up with Christian Metzler of Woodbridge, VA. Metzler who is an All-State goalkeeper recently received the first annual Inspirium Soccer Award along with a $7,500 academic scholarship.


Woodbridge Goalkeeper wins Inspireum Soccer Award, Scholarship

Watch his inpirational video!




VASoccerNews: It seems like from day 1, you have been climbing mountains to overcome obstacles and you can tell by your video that you inspire others to do the same every day. Which people helped you with helping you develop such a positive attitude?

CM: My family has really been the rock and guiding influence on my attitude on life.  I have been gifted with so much that to complain about my disability wouldn’t be appreciating all God has given me.  My family has really helped me to see this especially my brother Nick.  We are with each other all day.  Our relationship and his outlook on life are so great.  We learn and feed off each other.  I also have a great group of friends that look straight past my leg and see me for who I am.  Although with my closest friends I am comfortable joking about my leg and it has been the source of practical jokes. Most notably and infamously, we threw it out the window in one of my classes in middle school and told the teacher we had lost my leg.  I try to have as much fun with it as possible.

VASoccerNews: Why did you choose soccer?

CM: Soccer was given to me when I was just four years old.  Both my parents played into their adult lives so it was always destined that I would play as well.  I stuck with the sport because of the love and passion I developed for it and it has always been a constant in my life.  Goalie was the position my dad played and I always aspired to be like him so the choice of position came more because I wanted to be like my dad rather than it coming because I couldn’t play with my feet.

VASoccerNews: Judging by your parents email addresses, they work for some part of the military. Did having that background in your family help during the difficult times when you were growing up? Did you father instill certain military beliefs in you as a kid so that you could get through the tough times?

CM: The toughest time in my life regarding my lack of a leg ironically came because of the military.  My dad is in the Air Force and he definitely instilled discipline in my life from a young age and always pushed me to do my best in whatever it is I wanted to do.  Since I always aspired to be like my dad, it was sort of inevitable that I would want to join the Air Force someday as well.  However the military does not accept incoming amputees on the grounds of being medically incapable.  It was a tough moment for me in my life and I was no doubt upset, but the military values my dad taught me growing up was able to help get me through the realization that as of  now I cannot join the military.

VASoccerNews: How were you notified that you were the winner? Were you shocked? How did you react? Take us through that day?

CM: The day leading up to the announcement of the winner was a busy one for me.  I did this on purpose as to not become nervous about the announcement and to just get my mind off it for the day.  I stayed up until midnight, when the winner would be announced, watching football with my dad and brother and I refreshed the website repeatedly waiting for some news.  When the banner of “Winner” finally showed up and my face and name were below I was thrilled.  I gave my dad and brother a big hug.  And then I woke my mother up to tell her as well.  My sister congratulated me the next day.  It was a great honor to be recognized and I was very thankful.

VASoccerNews: Do you have plans to play beyond high school and club soccer?

CM: I will attend the University of Notre Dame next year and I plan on playing soccer at club level or maybe even attempting to walk-on the team.  It is something I will definitely not give up as I go to college.

VASoccerNews:Any aspirations to coach the game that you love?

CM: Coaching is a goal of mine and is one that I have already started.  I have spent time coaching challenged kids through the PWSI TopSoccer program.

VASoccerNews: What’s the most difficult aspect of the game for you and how do you deal with it?

CM: The hardest part of being a goalkeeper that I had to deal with was the issue of punting the ball as a distribution method.  It was hard to punt the ball consistently with my left foot as my balance on my prosthetic right leg was not very good.  Instead of punting, I began to work on throwing the ball.  It is something I became very good at and it didn’t hinder my team.  In my high school years I could consistently throw the ball to half field.  Many times the other team would play up when I got the ball and I would throw it and it would sail right over their heads into their half of the field.

VASoccerNews: Who is the better soccer player-you or your brother?

CM: Comparing me and Nick is a tough considering he plays on the field and I am a goalie.  He is planning on playing in college and he has had much success with his club team as they just won the State Cup this past fall.  I am his older brother though so I must stand up for myself and fib when I say that I am the better player.

VASoccerNews: If you had to pick another sport to play, what would it be?

CM: I play on the varsity basketball team at my school so if I could dedicate most of my time to a sport other than soccer it would be basketball.

VASoccerNews: What’s in your IPOD right now? What songs inspire you?

CM: I listen to a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers.  That is my favoirte band by far.  As far as inspiration goes, the Red Hot Chili Peppers’s song “Under the Bridge” inspires me.

VASoccerNews: What is your favorite quote or phrase?

CM: My favorite quote and one that I use for inspiration is one my father has said to me from a young age and that is “If you think you can, you will.”  It very simply states that anything you put your mind to, you will be able to accomplish.

VASoccerNews:What is your best non-athletic skill?

CM: I would like to think I am a good actor.  I was in a play at school my sophomore year although it has never been anything that I have pursued despite urging from the acting director and one of my teachers, Sister Mary Brigid.  I also do pretty good in my academics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.