Mar 28, 2011

20 Questions with Tribe Senior Grace Barnard

Thu, March 24, 2011
 
 
 
Why did you choose the Tribe?
I chose the tribe because of the great reputation of the women's soccer team and the members on the team. I couldn't ask for a greater group of girls. 


Describe a moment when you felt the most Tribe pride...
Last year we played BYU (a top 20 ranked team nationally) that was televised by ESPN. There were over 3,000 people there. The stadium and the atmosphere was unreal...something I've never experienced before. We ended up winning in overtime, I had my all time high career saves, and I got CAA player of the week after the weekend. It was one of the proudest moments in my soccer career that I will never forget.


What's an example of how your coach motivates you?
My goalkeeper coach I'd say is my main motivator. She warms me up before games, says positive things, gets excited when I make saves and gives me confidence.


Take us through your pre-match/game/meet mental preparation routine:
I usually get to the locker room pretty early, hang out in the training room and put my socks on there. When I get back to the locker room, usually some loud pump up music and most often than not, a dance party takes place. After the pre-game talk from the coach, I get in the same van out to the fields and we literally have a dance party in the van...pretty safe I know. Other little things: I write the same phrase on my arm above my gloves. When I'm on the field and the game is about to start I squat down, face the goal, say a "Hail Mary", do the sign of the cross, and point up to the sky for someone close that passed away (kind of dedicating every game for her).


Do you belong to any other clubs, groups, or organizations?
I am on SAAC (student athletic advisory counsel).


What are some community activities you or your team has done?
We have volunteered at many different summer camps, tribe tutors, relay for life. I personally have volunteered at Head Start (a program for mentally disabled children).


Intended major?
Psychology.


Describe your dream job:
Well I kind of have two. First I think it would be awesome to take pictures for National Geographic. Secondly, and more realistically, I would love to work with children with mental disabilities.


If you could play another sport at W&M what would it be?
If we had softball it would be that, but I love golf so it would probably be that sport.


Favorite team tradition/activity?
Giving nicknames to the freshman.


Which teammate will have the most interesting job in 10 years and why?
Chief (Danielle Axenfeld ) or Babs ( Brittany Lane ). Chief can sweet-talk ANYBODY so she'll probably be doing something awesome. And Babs is probably the coolest person I know; she travels everywhere, she has one of the best personalities I have ever known, just an all around amazing person. She'll probably be president, no joke.


What animal would best describe you?
Sulley from Monsters Inc.


What is your favorite quote or phrase?
"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul" -William E. Henley


Guilty pleasure food?
Reese's


Your favorite food/dish at the Caf?
Any of the panini's...


Favorite place you have visited or traveled to?
Tough one, they're all so different and that's why I like them all...My favorite two are: First - Ireland, I went on a trip with my team to there this past summer and that was such an amazing experience, especially the Cliffs of Moher. And Second - Brazil seeing the Corcovado (the huge statue in Rio de Janero of Christ) because it's such an amazing sight.


If you could sit down for lunch with anyone in the world who would it be?
Hands down, Chelsea Handler, from the Chelsea Lately show.


Most addicting television show?
Well I cant think of one because I'm addicted to about 5: Dexter, Grey's Anatomy, Weeds, True Blood, 30 Rock, Parenthood, Jersey Shore, Big Brother. Make that 8...


How will you change the world (or even just one person's world)?
Well, since I would like to go into special education, I hope that I can help families and their children have a better life, one that they can find meaning in, just be able to connect with those kids, and hopefully that's enough.


Tell us something about yourself that most people don't know...
Here are some odd bits about me: I am an extremely neat eater; never will I ever have stuff on my face, in my teeth, on my hands anything. I have pet peeves about windshield wipers. I look up to my grandfather and aspire to be half the person he is today. I think I am addicted to chap stick, and if I had to live off of three things for the rest of my life it would be Big Cheez-Its, fountain Diet-Coke, and bread ends.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.