Feb 10, 2011

Q & A: Sinead Farrelly, USWNT & Philadelphia Independence (WPS)


Recently VaSoccerNews had the opportunity to catch-up with the #2 pick in the 2011 WPS Draft, Sinead Farrelly (UVa.) while she was in camp with the U.S. Women's National team in Florida.

Farrelly took time out of her extremely busy schedule to answer some questions for us and for that we are very appreciative



VaSoccerNews: You have been extremely busy since the end of your college season with UVa, what has been your most memorable experience during the last few months?

Sinead Farrelly: Honestly, after my season ended, it was nice to just relax and take a break from soccer. Its been the first time in a while where I could workout on my own schedule and have time for other things that I couldn't really fit in my schedule before. There hasn't been one particular moment, or a memorable one, but it has been wonderful to relax and take my time getting prepared for the upcoming WPS season and any other soccer camps I have coming up.

VaSoccerNews: With all the success you have had within soccer what goals still remain for you personally and professionally?

Farrelly: No matter how good you are, you can always always get better. There are still so many things about my game I would like to improve on -- (my weak foot, my shooting, my defending, etc) -- which are very specific goals that I can work on day to day. Overall, my long term goal is just want to be the best soccer player I have the potential to be. All I can do is always put in a 100% effort in my training and preparation for the season.

VaSoccerNews: Being drafted No. 2 overall in the 2011 WPS draft is quite an accomplishment, how important is it for young female soccer players to have the dream of playing soccer professionally and how important is it for the WPS to succeed as a league in this country?

Farrelly: The WPS league has opened up so many more opportunities for young girls who live and breathe soccer. In the past, college was pretty much the end of the road for the majority of women's soccer players. And now, the WPS has opened the doors for the futures of so many young athletes. The league itself has given girls the possibility of their dreams to continue their soccer careers. Its so important that young female soccer players continue to push themselves and continue to dream of playing professional soccer in this country. It is the upcoming generations that are going to be the key to keeping this league a success and to help gain support for women's soccer across the country.

VaSoccerNews: Does the prospect of being considered a role model to young girls excite you or overwhelm you?

Farrelly: In the position of women's soccer today, its so important that young girls have role models to look up to. I remember being younger and half of my love for soccer came from the older girls I looked up to. To want to be as good as Mia Hamm and Kristine Lilly was all the motivation I needed to go out on my own and practicing juggling or shooting. So if any young girls want to consider me an important role model in their life, im all for it, and I encourage all young girls to find someone to give them the drive to want to be the best that they can be.

VaSoccerNews: When did you realize that becoming a professional soccer player was a realistic goal for you and why?

Farrelly: I probably realized it my junior year in college. A lot of my friends on the team that were graduating were being drafted for the WPS and that opened up the reality of my goal to play after college. After that, I knew it was a goal I could accomplish and reach.

VaSoccerNews: If you were not playing in the WPS what career would you pursue?

Farrelly: I honestly have no idea, I pretty much had my sights on soccer and refused to look at anything else I wanted to do ha. Which may be naive, but I also just knew that as of now, playing soccer is all I want to do. I majored in sociology at Virginia which is very broad and can be applied to a whole bunch of things that I'm interested in. But as of now, I ha vent really put in enough thoughts on that subject. I definitely don't think I'm a office/desk person, but would like to do something perhaps with soccer or at least athletics.

VaSoccerNews: Who are you most looking forward to playing against during the 2011 WPS season (player or team)?

Farrelly: Of course Marta has been such an amazing player in the WPS seasons and I would love to play against her and see all her magic. But I'm just excited in general to play against all the teams, and especially to see old friends and teammates whether I'm playing with them or against them.

VaSoccerNews: What one piece of advice can you give to youth players with aspirations of playing on the national team or professionally?

Farrelly: Probably just that if you really want something, its up to you to make it possible. There will be so many things out of your control during your time playing soccer but at the end of the day if you want to change something, you have the power to do it. And also, have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.