Jan 27, 2011

Q & A with Omolyn Davis: Washington Freedom/magicTalk SC draft pick

Omolyn Davis was drafted by the Washington Freedom/magicTalk SC in the 2011 WPS Draft. Davis played at George Mason University and is from Kingston, Jamaica.


VaSoccerNews: How popular is soccer with girls in Jamaica?

Omolyn Davis: Girls soccer in Jamaica is very popular. It might not get the same recognition as the boys program, but we have many leagues that support the girls program in Jamaica.
VASN: When did you realize you would have the opportunity to play in the WPS?
Davis: I realized I might have the opportunity to play in the WPS as long as the league was around. By doing this, I wanted to ensure that I get as much exposure as I could while playing college. In the summer however, I played for the Washington Freedom W-League team, and that was where I got a lot of exposure.
VASN: What attracted you to soccer as opposed to other sports?
Davis: The uniqueness of the game. Unlike other sports, one goal can be the determining factor of that game.
VASN: Which player are you looking forward to playing against the most, why?
Davis: I am really excited to play against all the players this season. They’re  all talented players. I’ve played against a few of the US national team players, and I’ve also played against Marta, so it should be exciting to share the field with such great players.
VASN: How important is it for the WPS to exist and how important is it for its players to be seen as role models to young female soccer players/athletes?
Davis: It is very important for the league to exist so that young girls who dream and aspire to play professional will have the opportunity to do so after college. It is also important for players to be seen as good role models for young female soccer athletes so that they can be more inspired to play the sport.
VASN: What is your best memory from playing soccer at George Mason?
Davis:  Well, I have two. First, My 2009 season when I scored and hat-trick in our 3-2 overtime win against William & Mary University. It was our team first win over William & Mary since 2003. My next was last season, making it to our conference tournament semi finals.



VASN: Do you feel that women’s soccer in general get fair media coverage compared to the men’s game? Why or why not?
Davis: No, I don’t think we get fair coverage as the men’s programs do. It could be because soccer is less popular here in the US than many other countries around the world.
VASN: If you were not going to be a professional athlete what career would you pursue?
Davis: I have a passion for soccer, so I would definitely go into coaching.  I have been coaching little kids here for about 2 years now, and it’s something I could see myself doing.
VASN: What is the strongest part of your game? What aspect needs the most improvement?
Davis: I would say my dribbling and technical skills. The aspect that needs improvement would be heading.

Thanks to Omolyn Davis for her time and best of luck on the upcoming season.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.