Aug 30, 2010

Interview with former MLS All-Star and DC United Goalkeeper, Mike Ammann

The following interview was conducted by Glenn Robertson owner of academyGK. Glenn recently spent time chatting with Mike Amman, former MLS All-Star and DC United goalkeeper. Currently Ammann runs 24/7 goalkeeper academy in Northern Virginia.

 
 
Glenn was chosen to interview Mike due to their similar backgrounds as keepers at high levels and experience in training goalkeepers. Glenn Robertson is a true soccer entrepreneur, his is involved in soccer is as follows:

 
  • Goalkeeper Coach
  • Owner academyGK
  • Inventor of the RESPONSEBALL
  • Semi-Professional Goalkeeper

 
Mike Ammann

Glenn Robertson for VASoccerNews:
So what are you up to today Mike? Coaching?

 
Mike Ammann:
No I wish, the goalkeeper academy is out of love for the game and the desire to get my oldest son the coaching he needs.

 
Glenn:
And when did you stop playing?

 
Ammann:
I retired from playing pro through injury in 2001, contract was up end of 2002.

 
Glenn:
At what age? Where had you played?

 
Ammann:
Retired in 2002, age 30.
  • Charlton Athletic, (94-96)
  • Kansas City Wizards (96-98)
  • New York MetroStars (99-2000)
  • DC United (2001/2002)
Glenn:
So what was your story from school, high school, college; how you came to England and then why you returned to USA?

 
Ammann:
I played in college at Cal State Fullerton. We played in the college final four my last year and was spotted by a director for Charlton. I went on trial for two weeks in the spring of 1994. I played versus Luton and QPR for reserves at Charlton and was offered two year deal. MLS started in 1996 and I was asked to come back and start the league. Looking back now I should have stayed with Charlton but at the time I thought it was the right thing to do.

 
Glenn:
So why come back to USA? Some might say England Premiership is the place to be.

 
Ammann:
Some might say? Call me an immature kid at the time that didn't realize the opportunity that was presented to me in the UK.

 
Glenn:
Indeed yes. So you regret the move?

 
Ammann:
I learned more about the game in those two years than in my entire career. I think I should’ve stayed in the UK, but I don't regret anything I've ever done.

 
Glenn:
Good, no regrets!

 
Amann:
I wish I could have gone back at a older age to truly appreciate it.

 
Glenn:
What did you learn in the UK?

 
Ammann:
I learned that the game means so much more to people. Folks in the UK eat, sleep, and breath the game.

 
Glenn:
And they don’t in the USA? Not even some places now with it being the most played game in the USA?

 
Ammann:
We have too many other sports that pay a lot of money to attract the best athletes in the US. We have great participation at the youth level because the sport is a healthy option. We end up losing kids to other sports as they reach high school.

 
Glenn:
OK interesting. And what about your goalkeeping experience specifically, how do you compare your playing in the Us to the UK?

 
Ammann:
In the UK you best be strong in the air. The game is played at a faster level and your decision making is forced to be much quicker. In the MLS, which has grown leaps and bounds in talent since 1996, the game is still played at a quick pace but possession is preferred over say the English first division.

 
Glenn:
Strong in the air? Do you get left alone more in the US, but in the UK there is more contact?

 
Ammann:
Goalkeepers in England are constantly involved and it's a great place for a goalkeeper. I would say there is more contact due to the referees allowing it to happen.

 
Glenn:
O.K., so what about how you were coached in the US at high school and college? Then in the UK and back in the MLS?

 
Ammann:
I grew up with an English coach, then in college my brother was my coach as well as Zac Abdel (current US Soccer goalkeeper coach. In MLS I had 3 great but different goalkeeper coaches. Alan Mayer was old school, focused on handling which was great. In the UK I only was able to work one day a week with Bob Bolder, sometimes not even that often. But you learned more because of the pressure of your teammates and the environment.

 
Glenn:
Wow, the rest of the time you were involved in the team training?

 
Ammann:
You played for your spot every single day in the UK. Having 3 pros that could all get a game at any time kept you on top of your game. In the US, you typically have a starter and your backup knows his role and typically doesn't play that often. Yes involved with team training a ton. Things have changed now with more and more goalkeeper coaches that are dedicated to the team.

 
Glenn:
Indeed! So, tell us about your own motivation to start coaching. When did you start? Who for and then why into 24/7?

 
Ammann:
I've coached since I was in school and have always enjoyed helping goalkeepers learn.

 
My son started playing in goal and I realized there was a lack of quality goalkeeper coaches in our area.
I always coached for club teams and did personal training but I wanted to have more reach. There is so much competition within each club that most clubs don't want you training other gk's from other clubs.

 
I wanted to help with as many young players that are motivated to reach the next level as possible. In a short time we have already worked with some quality gk's. One just left today for England and West Ham's academy. He's 14 and has some great potential.

 
I wanted something consistent and this is why I opened 24/7. Too many goalkeepers are neglected during their team training sessions and I wanted to focus on this specific position. Currently there are 3 coaches but we are expanding.

 
Glenn:
Excellent, how many nights a week do you coach and what programs do you offer?

 
Ammann:
I am looking at quality and not quantity at this stage. Too many folks have programs that lose that personal feel and I don't want to be a part of that. Right now we are doing two nights a week but we will look to add to that. I am working on a facility right now that will allow us indoor space so we can avoid weather issues.

 
Glenn:
That is exactly the right approach, in my opinion, too many goalkeeper 'coaches' are looking to pack kids in and make a few bucks. BUT by doing that you are not giving the keepers the attention they deserve right?

 
Ammann:
I have some friends around the country that we might expand to as well. I feel that kids are learning much more in small groups where I can work on their strengths and weaknesses.

 
I like to focus on the little things, anyone can set up flags, hurdles and a goal and run a session, but can you actually point out mistakes that are made or how to fine tune what the keeper is doing. That is where I feel I add a value.

 
I have always been a student of the game and the position so I think I have a great understanding on what a keeper needs.

 
Glenn:
Yes for me its about repetition and habit forming for good technique, understanding the role of the goalkeeper and most important is enjoyment!

 
Ammann:
I talk with my goalkeepers about my time in New York. Tim Howard was my backup for two years when he was young. He was five times that athlete I was so I needed to work on my footwork and positioning and truly understand the game. I constantly worked on my communication and organizing the back four.

 
If I had Timmy's athleticism combined with my knowledge of the game, I might have been a world class keeper.

 
Glenn:
Yes. I have the same thoughts about my own goalkeeping 'career'!

 
Ammann:
True, I am hard on my keepers but also find that line where you are encouraging them and rewarding them all while putting them through a challenging session.

 
Too many times goalkeeper coaches are too easy and then young keepers don't know how to step their level up when they reach a higher level. Attention to details is critical in my mind.

 
Glenn:
OK so what does the future hold Mike Ammann?

 
Ammann:
Well I am hopeful that I can help develop the next crop of American goalkeepers, my son being one of them. He will be 14 in October and has ambitions of being a pro. Hopefully I can build 24/7 into something that I am proud of and the goalkeepers that are a part of it take pride in.

 
For MLS, I hope that public continues to take to it. The game means so much to me and to see it become a major sport in the US would be unreal.

 
It's great to see US goalkeepers doing well, we seem to continue to produce them as I think we have great athletes in this country.

 
Glenn:
When I was in the US coaching in 2001, seeing the talent there, I predicted that the US would win the World Cup before England! We're on target for that at the moment!

 
Ammann:
The future is bright for the Nat's and I think if we can focus on the youth structure, I think we will get there. We have some great young players coming up through the system, I just hope the system can keep up with them.

 
Glenn:
OK, so now for the fun stuff, what was your favorite glove brand growing up and now?

 
Ammann:
Reusch growing up was always tops in my mind and still is. In England I endorsed Umbro, then Reebok and Adidas in MLS. Currently with 24/7 we have Under Armour apparel and Reusch gloves.

 
Glenn:
Favorite boots?

 
Ammann:
Boots I was always a fan of Adidas World Cups, simple and reliable. Now I obviously am a big fan of Under Armour!

 
Glenn:
Of course! Family?

 
Ammann:
Wife, Gina, 3 kids. Boys are Arie (13), Nico (10) and my daughter Dylann (8). Dog Deuce (Weimeraner), thinks he's our kid as well.

 
Glenn:
Favorite goalkeeper now and idol growing up?

 
Ammann:
Peter Shilton then Schmeichel. Now it's kind of a toss up between Buffon and Van Der Sar. Hopefully Hart can continue his form, he's got a great future ahead if so.

 
Glenn:
What team do you follow?

 
Ammann:
Charlton is always the first score I check. Hope they can get back up a few levels soon. Chelsea are my other fave, I'll get plenty of boos for this but you can blame Scott Minto for that. We met while I was on trial with Charlton and then he got sold to Chelsea. I spent a lot of time at the Bridge.

 
Glenn:
Favorite food?

 
Ammann:
My wife's pasta and a cold beer or margarita.

 
Glenn:
Favorite Holiday location?

 
Ammann:
Vacation spot would be any lake that we can take our motorhome to.

 
Glenn:
Any words of wisdom on the people reading this...goalkeeping or otherwise?

 
Ammann:
If they are serious about goalkeeping they need to come see me. I'll be hosting more camps in the near future and we will be in more areas. I'd also like to come over to England and see what folks are up to over there.

 
Always looking to learn!


 
VASoccerNews would like to thank both Glenn Robertson of academygk in th UK as well as Mike Ammann of 24/7 goalkeeper Acadamy here in Northern Virginia.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this interview-I thought it was great. My daughter, Jasmin, is currently training with 24/7 and we are so thankful. She has told me in the past, "Mom, I feel that I was born to be a keeper, a professional keeper" so we are going to do whatever we can to provide her with the training and encouragement she needs. Since training with 24/7 (Mike and Tim), her confidence has risen and her technique has improved. She enjoys the small group atmosphere and feels like she is really learning the skills of what she loves to do. How else are keepers suppose to learn out there? Not just by scrimmaging with their team! Thank you Mike for creating this company and you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.