Jun 14, 2010

106.7 The Fan shows support @ Washington Freedom

This past Saturday my daughter and I had the TOTAL soccer experience.  For anyone who says Americans do not care about or support soccer, I wish you could have been at the SoccerPlex in Maryland on June 12.

Not only did we get to watch the first USA vs England World Cup match since the huge upset of team USA over the highly favored British team that was 60 years in the making, we also received V.I.P. treatment from Jaclyn Benjamin of the Washington Freedom.
After Watching the USA come away with a draw due to a horrible mistake in goal by the British keeper, Robert Green (and thank the lucky stars for this mistake), my daughter was able to meet about a dozen of the Washington Freedom coaches and players and basically have her very own autograph session. 

Since my daughter plays soccer at a competitive level and hopes to one day play professional soccer this was a once in a lifetime experience for her.  Highlighting her day was when she received Abby Wambach's autograph, second best in her own words only to Hope Solo (her favorite player since they both play goalkeeper).

After the amazing chance to collect player autographs I joined in on the fan experience by getting my picture taken with the Washington Freedom Head Coach, Jim Gabarra.  Side Note: I have aspirations of coaching professionally one day, though it is more likely my daughter will play professionally than I will achieve that level as a coach but a man has to dream.
Then to my surprise local sports radio station 106.7 the Fan and J.P. of The Sports Junkies was out to support the Freedom and add to our experience. As a morning commuter and sports fan, The Junkies are a staple of my drive each day and I am always wishing that soccer was a bigger blip on the sports radar to hear it discussed on sport talk radio.  I got to meet J.P. and talk for a few minutes, while my daughter won herself a prize, and found out he actually plays soccer himself.  Very cool guy, down-to-earth and great to see him out there supporting the Beautiful Game and even better Women's Soccer.

I would recommend making it out to a Freedom game if you or your children are soccer fans.  The quality of play along with the ability to be so close to the action is a great value. Not to mention how accessible the players are after the game to meet the kids and sign autographs. World class names like Wambach, Whitehill, Cristiane (Brazil), Bompastor (France), and many other great athletes make the game well worth watching. Although both the teams my daughter and I rooted for came away from each of their games with a draw, we had an amazing all day soccer extravaganza.  Thanks again to Jaclyn Benjamin of the Washington Freedom and GO USA!


Soccer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.