Sep 1, 2011

Sinead Farelly, WPS Rookie Season Wrap-up


Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
Sinead Farrelly is a former UVA standout and was selected No. 2 in the 2011 WPS Draft by her hometown Philadelphia Independence.

VASoccerNews did a Q&A with Sinead earlier this year when she was in camp with the U.S. Women's National team in Florida. Sinead was also kind enough to do her first guest post for VASoccerNews while preparing for her rookie season with the Independence.

Having had a succesfull season, the Independence and Farrelly made it to the WPS Championship game where the winner was decided in a penalty kick shoot out. Unfortunately the Independence did not win but Farrelly is already looking ahead to the 2012 WPS season and provided our readers with her thoughts (below) as she looked back at her amazing rookie season.










Sinead Farrelly
Philadelphia Independence

I had an incredible first season in the WPS. I couldn’t have been thrown into a better situation than the one I had. I got to live at home, be around my family and friends, and play at my old stomping ground at USTC in Downingtown.

The coaching staff was amazing, the girls on the team became my best friends, and the club as a whole made it to the WPS Championship Game. Winning the title would have made it that much better, but at the end of the day, I was so lucky to be a part of the Philadelphia Independence this season.

I feel like at the beginning of the season we were just coming into our own and it took us a little bit to gain that momentum we needed, but once we sparked, no one could stop us. Once we started our winning streak, every single game was a highlight and a challenge. Everyone in the league wanted to beat us, and every week we have to overcome them.

It’s hard to pinpoint even a couple of times where I can look back and say “that was the highlight of my season” because every practice and every game was such a joy. I was always in good company and I feel that Paul and the rest of the coaching staff made practice fun and competitive. I can honestly say I never met a whole group of girls that I enjoyed as much as this last Philadelphia Independence team. Once we got to know each other on and off the field, we came together so well as a team that I felt like no one could stop us. And the best thing about soccer is that it is such a team sport and that’s why I think we were so successful. We were all there for the right reasons and all so focused on the things we needed to get done to be the best. We put in all the right steps to prepare for every game and that gave us the confidence to just relax and play well when it came time for games.

I feel very privileged to have experienced such a wonderful first season as a professional because I’m sure a lot of people have a hard time adapting or fitting into a team’s style and a coaches values. But I can honestly say that Philly was the perfect fit for me and I can’t wait for next season. I can also say that you can be sure we will be coming for that trophy again next year!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.