Nov 18, 2010

Q & A with Diego Restrepo (247GK & UVA)

Diego Restrepo

Recently, Mike Ammann (former MLS goalkeeper and founder of 247GK) had the opportunity to interview University of Virginia goalkeeper Diego Restrepo.

Mike Ammann: What club did you play for growing up?
Diego Restrepo: I played for multiple clubs but my best experiences were with West Kendall from Miami.

Mike: Who has been your biggest influence in soccer?
Diego: My biggest influence would have to be my family, if it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t be living the life that I have right now.

Mike: When did you start playing in goal?
Diego: I was always a field player but at the age of 14, the starting goalkeeper of my team got hurt and we didn’t have a back up goalkeeper so I decided to step in for him and since that day my whole soccer experience has changed.

Mike: Who were your top 3 college choices?
Diego: Maryland, South Florida, Santa Clara

Mike: Are there any schools or fans that you get intimidated to play against?
Diego: Personally I don’t think I get intimidated, it’s always fun to have people cheer against you and I feel like I feed of their energy and it helps to elevate my game. Some tough crowds that I have played against would have to be Akron, UConn and Maryland.

Mike: What is your ultimate goal in soccer?
Diego: First become a professional and be the best that I can be, but ultimately be able to represent my country at the International level.

Mike: Who is your favorite goalkeeper current and past?
Diego: My favorite goalkeeper would have to be Oscar Cordoba. During his prime he was considered one of the best in the world. He also from Colombia where I was raised, so I have a lot of respect for him and love the way he plays.

Mike: What league is your favorite?
Diego: My favorite league would have to be LA LIGA. Spanish soccer is so enjoyable to watch, it’s amazing the way they play so quickly and accurately, I personally enjoy watching Barcelona play.

Mike: Where is your favorite vacation spot?
Diego: Key West, it’s close to home and there is always beautiful weather and pretty good beaches.

Mike: You own a team and money is no object, what 11 players do you sign to start for you?
Diego: Oscar Cordoba as my GK, Roberto Carlos , Lucio, Ivan Corodoba, Dani Alves, Essien, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gerrard, Robben, Drogba, Messi

Mike: What do you like to do away from soccer?
Diego: Enjoy hanging out with my friends and playing PS3.

Mike: If you weren’t a soccer player, what would you do?
Diego: To be honest I wouldn’t know what I would be doing, probably nothing very productive, soccer it’s my life.

Mike: Do you have a hidden talent?
Diego: Unfortunately no.

Thanks for taking the time to let us get to know you. Appreciate it.
Mike Ammann www.247gk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the Virginia Online Soccer News discussion.